RAAC17G-Force.jpg

Scholarship Grant Committee Standing Rules


The Mission

 

The Mission of the Scholarship Committee (SC) is to provide financial support, in the form of specific grants, to promote and foster all aspects of membership education. Specifically, the Scholarship Committee will work to grant financial aid and support to Chapters that provide educational events which are consistent with the overall educational goals of CDS, and in compliance Committee guidelines. Individual scholarships shall be awarded based on guidelines established by the Committee in compliance with the wishes of the originator of the specific scholarship fund, when applicable. Scholarships will be awarded only to CDS chapters or CDS members who are domiciled in California or Nevada. Scholarship grants recommended by the SC must be approved by the CDS Executive Board. 


Committee membership

 

The Scholarship Committee consists of two individuals from each of the three CDS Regions. Appointments to the Scholarship Committee will be recommended jointly by the two elected Regional Directors, and approved by the CDS Board of Directors. Committee members may serve up to two, 3-year terms. Terms shall be staggered. The Chair shall be determined by vote of the sitting Committee members. One Committee member shall act as finance coordinator. One Committee member will act as the secretary. [NOTE: Descriptions of functions of Chair, Secretary and Finance Coordinator to be written by the SC.] One member of the CDS Board will serve as liaison between the Board and the Committee, but is not a voting member of the Committee. The CDS Treasurer is an exofficio member of the Scholarship Committee


Meetings

 

The Scholarship Committee will hold a minimum of one face-to-face meeting each year which will coincide with the annual meeting of the California Dressage Society. Other meetings will be held by conference call. The schedule of meetings for the year will be established at the January meeting and these dates widely published throughout CDS to promote timely applications. The 2nd quarter meeting should be scheduled by mid May each year, to ensure prompt action on the applications submitted in accordance with the April 30th deadlines for the individual scholarships i.e. Jane Jackson, Hans Moeller, Carol Plough, etc. 3rd and 4th quarter meetings to be scheduled in August and October such that the minutes can be completed and submitted at the next CDS Board meeting. In order to conduct business, the scholarship committee must have a quorum of four out of six members present, whether personally present or present by telephone. All deliberations of the committee will be confidential and will be held in closed session. Minutes shall be submitted to the CDS Board detailing all actions taken by the Scholarship Committee and recommendations regarding scholarship grants and additional administrative issues pertaining to the effective functioning of the Committee. Once approved by the Board, these minutes shall be public.


Funding

 

The Scholarship Fund is supported by the proceeds of the Educational Endowment Fund, 60% of the Chapter Basket Silent Auction, and from CDS Pylon sales. These funds are invested, and the total amount available for scholarships in any given year depends on the income produced by these investments. The amounts available for scholarships will comprise 75% of the prior year’s interest and dividend income earned by the Fund. . The remaining 25% will be returned to the capital of the scholarship fund. In addition, CDS receives scholarship income from a variety of bequests and individual donations. Bequests and donations will be deemed donations to capital unless stipulated otherwise by the donor at the time of making the donation. The committee will not invade capital to award scholarships except in extraordinary circumstances. All funding recommendations by the Committee must be approved by the CDS Executive Board. 
      a. By November 1st of each year, the Committee shall develop and submit to the Board a proposed budget for educational and rider scholarships as well as administrative expenses for operation of the Committee based on estimates of available funds for the coming year. 
      b. The CDS Treasurer is the signatory on the Scholarship account. 
      c. The CDS Board of Directors will approve all scholarship grants. 
      d. For the January meeting, Treasurer and SC Finance Coordinator will review and provide information on all funds available for scholarship grants including: General Scholarship Fund, Club 100, Carol Plough, Sharon Carpenter, Linda O'Carroll ,and Bobby Keville Funds. For the amount available from the General Fund, specific detailed information on what the amount is to cover will be provided. 


Awards

 

Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of the merit of the proposal. Scholarship awarded may not be for the full amount requested. Applications will be considered four times a year. The deadline for applications will be January 1 to be considered for the first quarter, April 30th for the second quarter, August 1 for the third quarter and October 15th for the final quarter of the year. If a particular application is denied, it can be resubmitted for consideration at subsequent meetings. Scholarships may be considered after the fact for activities already held when those activities meet the criteria.


Scholarship Applications

 

Chapter Educational Scholarships are intended to provide financial assistance to Chapters to offer educational events that might not break even on their own. In addition to detailed descriptions of the planned program, all applicants must submit a current Treasurer's report, bank account balance and program budget detailing expected revenues and expenses for the program. (Successful applicants shall be awarded 75% of the approved amount, and up to all of the remaining 25% upon completion of the program and submission of a final program summary and financial report (including a profit & loss statement) to the Committee. 
Scholarship Forms Available

To apply for a scholarship write to: 
California Dressage Society
Paula Langan, Office Manager
P.O. Box 417
Carmel Valley, CA 93924